Business Owner. Professor. Facilitator. Maker.
Karen Baker brings 25-years as an award-winning executive specializing in Design Research, Strategic Planning, and Marketing. Karen works directly with C-Suite entrepreneurs and executives and their key stakeholders on internal strategy design, marketing, branding, and national advertising campaigns. Besides, she has been a Professor for 14 years teaching both undergraduate and graduate-level certification students at George Washington University and American Public University; and a Certification Candidate, Creativity Coaching
Recently, Baker is part of the PCMA’s 2018-2020 Best in Class program for her digital media strategies workshop; and she speaks and lectures for conferences and university programs. Karen is a 4x grantee of the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities Artist Fellowship. In 2018, Karen was the recipient of the first DCCAH Curatorial Practice Grant, which lead to the critically acclaimed, socially engaged art exhibition, Anacostia Unmapped 2.0. Baker currently leads several projects and programs for Isom Global Strategies and Think Local First DC.
Ms. Baker received her Bachelor of Arts in Political Science from Howard University, Master in Administration in Event Management from The George Washington University, School of Business, and a Master in Arts in Design Thinking from the Savannah College of Art and Design, School of Design.
- 4x Recipient of the DC Commission on the Arts and Humanities Fellowship Program, 2018 and 2019 Design Art. Focus: Fiber and 2013 and 2014 Visual Art: Fiber
- 2018 DCCAH Curatorial Practice Grant
- 14.5 years of teaching in the areas of market research, strategic marketing, and experiential marketing in higher education learning.
- Designed strategic marketing plans that garnered a 22% return on equity, marketing, and investment.
- Design effective Citizen-centered campaigns for non-profits, federal and state government agencies to make information accessible to everyone.
- The MBDA YouTube campaign viewer rate surpassed the benchmark of 29.6% for the government and advocacy industries.
Karen is a dynamic and inspiring business leader with keen marketing and event insight. She pushes the marketing envelope to create masterful marketing campaigns. You can count on Karen and her team to provide direction and expertise in order to make her clients’ event a success. Gabie Williams, Sr. Account Manager, DATAWERX
Past and Upcoming Speaking Events:
- EPIC2013 London | DTLR Radio
- Covenant Church 39th Anniversary – July 2017
- 202 Creates Initiative Video| ComNet DC
- American Advertising Federation DC
- The Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) Webinars
- Yo-Yo Ma Bach Project Day of Action
- Maryland Institute College of Arts MFA Curatorial Practice
Memberships: The Professional Association for Design [AIGA], AIR, Innovation Women, Journalism & Women Symposium, Society of Ethnomusicology, Washington Project for the Arts, and African American Intellectual History Society Inc., National Museum of Women In The Arts, Surface Design Association